Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Memory Monday #15

Grandma had the fastest sewing machine in the west. Now I have it, and oh, how grateful I am! Grandma could sew anything: wool coats, suits, prom dresses, t-shirts, blankets, patched knees, pajamas, Christmas stockings, shorts, etc. Her products were perfect and amazing. Almost like buying them at the store...only better...no flaws, ever. Here are some shirts she sewed for us for our family picture...pretty cute, huh? You'll notice that those are full-blown collars, the boys open to the left and the girls to the right...because that is how you do it, all of the lines match up perfectly, and there are snaps. She's good.

It's interesting, when you're faced with the death of a very prominent loved one, the things that you worry about and wonder about. When I knew that Grandma's time on earth would be cut shorter than I had planned, I worried about who would do my sewing and mending. I guess that deep in the back of my mind, I knew I would have to step up. See, Grandma not only sewed for me, she also taught me a few things along the way. I can sew because she let me sew (I only broke a few needles on that old Singer) and she was always there to lend a hand. Although I would much prefer to have her here to do my sewing for me, that was not to be. I am, however, grateful for the tools she left me: a fabulous machine, a closet full of supplies, lessons, and experiences never to be forgotten. So, now I wonder...do they sew in Heaven? It was an earthly talent that Grandma developed well and that she loved...I just wonder if she still gets to sew?

Yesterday I decided it was time to get the patches on the scout uniforms. I've only been a leader for four months and Jeron had his first den meeting last night. I have dreaded putting the patches on. I couldn't help but think what an easy task it would be for Grandma. So many times like this, I long for her to be here and say, "Bring them over. I'll take care of it." But, again, she did not leave me helpless. I have the machine and I have the experience, so I set to work. Can I just say...easy, peasy!? I know the machine made a huge difference, but I also like to think I got a bit of her talent, too! Just LOOK at those patches! Thanks, Grandma, for the machine, but mostly for the talent you passed on.

5 comments:

  1. Now that I think about it Mom sewed alot of stuff for us. When I was I little kid it was always knees in the pants. I never understood why you wouldn't just buy new pants until I became a parent. Unfortunately i don't have a sewing machine or any talent at it. The uniforms look great! You did your military brother proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am grateful for the sewing talent. While mine is no where near as perfected as mom's, I am able to sew the military patches on Jeff's uniforms and he passes inspection! Not too bad and it saves us a couple of bucks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love that my mom taught me to sew. Unfortunately, I think I am failing my daughters in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I can't tell you how much I am enjoying getting to know your mom better through your blog. I did not know that she could sew...she really was very talented in that area.

    I swear, there doesn't seem to be anything that she couldn't do!

    She's an amazing woman...and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heidi,
    Brings back many great memories of buying machines for her to use and wear out. Also of sport coats, pants and shirts made. Glad you got the last one and are using it.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete