Thursday, January 28, 2010

Things Left Behind

Mom was always organizing. She loved buckets and bins and drawers and her label-maker. Organization seemed to be a process for her, more than a destination. With that in mind, I expect that I will never reach my goal of complete organization. I wonder if, where she is, she ever considers the things she left behind in this world. How does the saying go? "You can't take it with you?" (So, I wonder why I spend so much time organizing the things that will be left behind? Perhaps because I still must live in this world and living requires some things.) We only get to take the things that we've learned and the relationships we've built, right? Well, in that case, my mother left this world a very rich woman. But she also left others, especially me, with wonderful earthly treasures, reminders of who she is and how she lived her life, and, from my perspective, some tools to help me live better. Without knowing it, she has and will continue to come to the rescue with the things that she left behind.

She left behind her temple clothing. Aunt Arva has a friend of little means who is trying to prepare to attend the temple for the first time. I was able to give Arva some of the newest items to give to this sister. Arva is using Mom's temple dresses, as she is a worker in the Reno Temple and usually goes another day during the week, too. Mom kept Grandma Mellor's dresses for all of these years. I imagine the both of them saying, "My word, girls, give those things to someone who will benefit from them and use them!" So, I did. Grandma's dresses will benefit the Spanish-speaking sisters in the Spanish Branch in Fallon. I imagine that Grandma Mellor and Mom will both be filled with joy when their dresses and other clothing are worn to the temple.

I have been very protective of Mom's things. It is not because I want to keep them for myself. It is because I know that she would want them to be of benefit to others, not just taken to the dump or thrown out.

Jeron had a habitat project a couple of weeks ago. He chose an owl. Well, owls eat mice and Grandma just happened to have all the makings of furry little mice in her sewing closet. I thought of how much she loves Jeron and how thrilled she must be to know that the little mice supplies she's held on to all of these years were there when Jeron needed them.

I am thinking about this today because I have started going through boxes. I came across a book that may just help me out with my defiant little fit thrower. I thought to myself, "It's almost like she knew I would need this and left it right here for me to find in my time of need." She couldn't take these things with her, but I'm sure glad that she had them in her life and that she left them for my benefit and the benefit of others. I hope you each have something that reminds you of Grandma and how much she loves you. If I have anything that belonged to her that would help you in your lives, please don't hesitate to say something!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and touching post. Thank you for sharing the lessons your mother taught you with me.

    ReplyDelete