Monday, July 13, 2009

Memory Monday #13

The practice song in Relief Society today was "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good." I haven't heard or sung that song since Grandma's funeral and I was totally caught off-guard. After they announced it, I sat there wondering if I should sing, leave, ignore...I finally just tried to sing, but was so overcome with emotion that by the end, I had to leave anyway. I want to share the words of the song here because they are so fitting to our Grandma and the way she lived her life.

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

What can I say more? I believe that Karen Lynn Davidson could very well have written this song just for Grandma. May we each live our lives to be the kind of friend Grandma was, to bless others' lives, to enrich others' days, to be devoted to our Savior.
The scripture that is listed with this song is D&C 42:45-46. I especially like verse 46: "And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them."

I believe that death was sweet for Grandma, for she was a righteous and devoted follower of Christ. I am grateful for this knowledge and promise. I am grateful for the example that Grandma left for us.

1 comment: